Purchase(s) of the week: NYX Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick & NYX Micro Brow Pencil

by - 13:56


I am a self-confessed lipstick and eyebrow product addict. I'm constantly surfing the web for swatches, and I've got a list as long as my arm of things that I want to buy, try and review. NYX Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipsticks (say that three times faster!) and the NYX Micro Brow Pencil have been at the top of my list for some time, so I finally decided to bite the bullet and order them both from Boots. Unfortunately, my local Boots stores don't stock NYX, so what's a girl to do? Hunt for swatches, of course, many of which were provided by all of you lovely fellow bloggers. Thanks guys and girls! I settled on a shade for each - I'll explain my reasoning in just a moment - and I was beyond excited when they arrived. So, what were my first impressions?

NYX Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick in Ruffle Trim (£6.50)

My lipstick collection consists mostly of warm nudes with the odd red and purple thrown in to spice things up a little. While I absolutely love bold lipstick shades, I don't feel like I have opportunity enough to wear them, especially because I work full-time in retail, and a bold lip would make me stand out a little too much for my liking. The NYX Lip Lingerie range is therefore perfect for someone like me as every shade is extremely wearable, each one a variation of a nude tone. I was torn between the shades Ruffle Trim, Bedtime Flirt, and Push Up. My aim was, and always has been, to find that ultimate 'my lip colour but better' lipstick. Ruffle Trim is just that; a warm, peachy brown.

The next test was the formula. As an avid fan of the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks, the bar is set exceptionally and perhaps unfairly high. However, NYX exceeded my expectations, and while it didn't knock KVD off of the top spot, it definitely remains a close second in my eyes. The formula is lightweight, pigmented and long-lasting. There are times when I forget that I'm wearing anything on my lips at all.

So, what are the negatives? Well, there are two minor issues I have with the product. Firstly, the applicator is... different. It isn't awful, but it takes some getting used to when other products use the traditional doe foot. Instead, NYX Lip Lingerie has a much longer flat, double-sided applicator which I could immediately see being a problem for someone with much thinner lips. My second grumble is one I have with many liquid lipsticks; the post application tackiness. Don't get me wrong, the product doesn't transfer at all, but if you press your lips together, there is a sticky texture. 

Despite my fussy nature, I'm definitely a fan of this liquid lipstick and I know that before long, I'll be adding some more shades to my collection.

NYX Micro Brow Pencil in Chocolate (£7.00)

Next up is the NYX Micro Brow Pencil. This was a new addition to my ever-growing list after seeing countless beauty bloggers and YouTubers hail it as a dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, a product which already had its own place on my list. However, I'm known to be a little bit frugal, and I winced at the thought of spending £15.50 on an eyebrow pencil I may not even like. Enter NYX Micro Brow Pencil. At £7.00 - less than half price of its luxury counterpart - it was an easy decision to make. I placed my order with Boots after once again trawling the internet for swatches, and Chocolate seemed to be the best colour for me.

If you've happened upon my 2016 Favourites post, you'll already know that when it comes to brow products, I'm a religious Benefit customer. I spent years using Brow Zings, and last year I made the switch to Ka-Brow! Once again, this stemmed from my need to own the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, but I was concerned about buying a brow product that I wasn't able to colour test prior to purchase. I decided to take this risk with the NYX Micro Brow Pencil because every swatch I happened upon seemed to be consistent in colour.

It's been many years since I've filled my brows in using an eyebrow pencil, but after briefly trialling this product, I can say that I'm a fan. While I've yet to fully convert from my beloved Ka-Brow!, this pencil is a quick, easy alternative when I need to put my war paint on at high speed. The formula is pigmented and glides on easily, and the spoolie on the opposite end is brilliant for taming and lightening the finished brows for a natural effect.



So far, so good. These two products are welcome additions to my make-up bag, and I'm already eager to invest in some more shades of the liquid lipsticks. I also already know that my suitcase will be full of beauty products on my return from the USA in March... maybe I'll even manage to pick up the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow. A girl can dream.


You May Also Like

0 comments